forums

welcome! please login or register.

POLL RESULTS: An Affair to Forget: (5 comments)

POLL: An Affair to Forget

Friday, September 19, 2008 - 12:03 AM

A reader writes... Q: I am married to a handsome man and have two beautiful young children. Recently, I admired someone from work and we had a short affair. Now, I just can't get him off my mind. We still see each other, but only at work and we never really talk anymore. During our affair time, he told me he was single but later I found out that he has a girlfriend. I don't know why, but I just can't get him out of my mind. I always want to know if he thinks of me or if he's watching me. I don't want to destroy my marriage, but I can't help it. What should I do?

POLL: The married woman should...

0% (11) ... try again with the affair

18% (237) ... end the affair for good

2% (36) ... keep seeing both men

77% (989) ... take a good look at her "beautiful children" and THINK
1273 people have voted in this poll. (This poll is not active.)
TheOriginalJes
Lover

Jan 2008
Re: An Affair to Forget (Score: 1)
posted Friday, September 19, 2008 - 11:27 AM (#44841)

This is a classic case of trying to "have your cake and eat it, too".

I'm not saying it's wrong to find somebody else attractive, but perhaps you should just learn to leave it as a fantasy. I've seen women I know go down the road you're on. It's all too common, and rarely ends with an intact marriage. If you can knock off the shenanigans before your husband findings out, then at least you can spare him some pain. But, if you can't, it may be just a matter of time before you crap all over 4 lives.

You may need to answer some of these questions before you continue. And, be honest with yourself.

Are you and your husband polygamists? Does he know about your affair?

Do you think an extra-marital affair is wrong? Or do you just think lying is okay if you don't get caught?

You might just be looking to satisfy a need for a thrill, as opposed to an affection for another man. Or, maybe your husband isn't showing you the attention he used to. Write back to us if you can clarify any of this for us.

Locked profile
Pengy
Lover

Feb 2008
posted Friday, September 19, 2008 - 01:57 PM (#44844)

Of course you can't get him out of your mind - you still see him regularly at work. Can you feasibly get transferred to another department or try to find a new job? If so, I think that's the way to go. If not, remind yourself, whenever you feel your eye wander, of the reasons the affair ended and the things that bothered you about your man on the side - at the very least, he lied when he said he was single. This advice is of course assuming you're being honest with yourself about not wanting to destroy your marriage.

Locked profile
TheOriginalJes
Lover

Jan 2008
posted Friday, September 19, 2008 - 04:23 PM (#44852)
In Response to Pengy (#44844):

-" at the very least, he lied when he said he was single."-

Actually, she never told us why the affair ended, or when she found out he had a girlfriend.

It's possible that he ended the affair because he started seeing someone else. Possibly even making him more of a prize to the poster.

Locked profile
marriard
Lover

Feb 2008
posted Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 12:02 AM (#44857)

Grow up.

Seriously grow up. You are not a selfish teenage girl. You are a grown woman with two children.

Try making an adult decision. Either get divorced and deal with those consequences or don't get divorced and deal with those consequences.

Locked profile
Murgatroyd
Lover

Jan 2008
posted Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 01:05 AM (#44859)

Recently, I admired someone from work and we had a short affair.

That's some effin' case of admiration you got goin' there.

I don't know why, but I just can't get him out of my mind.

Looks to me like you put the moves on him, and now you can't deal with the fact that, when push came to shove, he rejected you for someone else.

I don't want to destroy my marriage, but I can't help it. What should I do?

You say you don't want to destroy your marriage, but you sure didn't give a crap about it when you started the affair, did you?

Face it -- as long as you keep thinking about this guy in terms of restarting the affair, your marriage is already destroyed.

I have no sympathy for you, sweetie, but I do wonder how badly you're going to mess up the lives of your husband and your children. Congratulations.

Locked profile
Threshold:  Locked
The Fine Print: The above comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
Hell, let's face it, we're not responsible for anything; including the things we say, do, or think. And if you sue us because you think we are? Well, we're not responsible for that either.

(C) 2005 Brad J. Guigar. All rights reserved. Use of content or images without the consent of the author is prohibited.