forums

welcome! please login or register.

POLL RESULTS: Are you karma-ing?: (10 comments)

POLL: Are you karma-ing?

Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:05 AM

A reader writes... Q: My buddy is totally promiscuous, sleeping with anybody he can. Most of these women he doesn't even care about. We're in our 20s. I tell him he's developing bad karma, but he says the women enjoy it too and that everyone is having fun. I am sort of jealous, but that's not my style. Do you see any harm in his playboy behavior?
POLL: Sleeping around at 20 is a good way to...

3% (51) ...get bad karma

67% (1120) ...get a nasty, burning rash

12% (200) ...make your buddy jealous

14% (237) ...become an excellent lover

2% (43) ...find that perfect someone
1651 people have voted in this poll. (This poll is not active.)
Murgatroyd
Lover

Jan 2008
Re: Are you karma-ing? (Score: 1)
posted Friday, October 10, 2008 - 01:52 AM (#45458)

Promiscuity is its own reward ... and its own punishment. The good news for your buddy is that he's getting lots of nookie. The bad news is that the women he's screwing care just as little about him as he does about them. Sooner or later he's going to want to get involved with one particular woman on a deeper level, and the odds are that she won't.

And then there's always the nasty, burning rash factor to consider ...

Locked profile
Maeloch
Lover

Jan 2008
posted Friday, October 10, 2008 - 11:43 AM (#45461)

As long as he takes the proper precautions to prevent becoming a father and/or get a STD, he should be fine. Get over your jealousy, be happy with the choices you make about your own life, and let your friend live his life.

There are risks and rewards with promiscuity. The risks aren't as great as the anti-sex crowd would like you to believe, especially if you always use protection, but the risks are there.

Locked profile
Bdave
Lover

Jan 2008
posted Friday, October 10, 2008 - 02:29 PM (#45465)
In Response to Maeloch (#45461):

umm actually protection isn't always 100% perfect, generally it's not a big risk but it is a risk. still it's his life to live and risk.

Locked profile
dirge93
Lover

Oct 2008
posted Friday, October 10, 2008 - 02:51 PM (#45466)

Well....

Condoms don't protect from everything out there (Herpes, cancer-causing HPV, and psychotic ex-girlfriends come to mind), so his lifestyle does put him at increased risk. As well as any special someone he may want to settle down with. But he may also have all kinds of wild, wacky, no-strings attached fun and never get so much as a public louse or a neurotic phone call at three in the morning for all his fun. Fun that you're missing out on and may be more than just "sort of jealous" about.

Truthfully, I always found that any guy who'd sleep with any girl they could for the sake of sleeping with them, wasn't the most generous or considerate person to their male friends either. (and yes, the same hold true to promiscuous women, gays, and bisexuals as well. It's not a hetero-male only thing, but it is a generalization based only on my limited observations)

Locked profile
Stevarooni
Lover

Jun 2008
posted Friday, October 10, 2008 - 06:45 PM (#45473)

So long as he's honest about his intentions, there's not really anything wrong with what he's doing. There're all sorts of physical dangers involved here (pregnancy, stds, etc.), of course. But again, if the guy's not lying his way into women's panties, why should there be bad karma?

If you don't like what he's doing, don't do it. If he's hurting you or someone you love (and that's hurting, not just doing something you don't like), it's your business; otherwise, it's not.

Locked profile
BillyName99
Lover

Apr 2008
posted Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 12:57 PM (#45479)

Hey, If he is being a gentleman about it, IE: not forcing himself on anyone, being honest about his intentions, making sure that they come first and taking the appropriate safety measures, there is no damage to his Karma.

He is not hurting anyone, or taking from anyone, so what is your problem?

If he is lying to the people he has sex with and not using protection and being an asshole, then yeah, his karma will bite him in the ass.

I will say that it is not for you to judge him. He is your friend, and you have expressed your concern. Leave it at that.

Locked profile
Amanda
Lover

Oct 2008
posted Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 06:27 PM (#45497)

His lifestyle may not be your idea of good, but it's his. So back off and let him and the women be. They're adults (or at least they'd better be,) they know the possible consequences of their actions (STDs, pregnancy, hurt feelings, stalkers, etc.,) and therefore they can make their own decisions. How do you know that his behavior will result in bad karma? Karma is a force that is out of your control. Just because you feel his way of life is wrong does not mean that karma does. Maybe karma thinks it's wrong to judge, be jealous, or attempt to control others because of your judgment and jealousy by way of threats of karmic attack. If it does, you're gathering lots of bad karma yourself. And dragging others in to further judge and/or be jealous of this man? That wouldn't be good for your karma either. And, with such bad karma yourself, who are you to judge what is right? Anyway, I believe I've rambled enough for one day. Hopefully someone gained something from that. Good luck and Good bye.

Locked profile
TheOriginalJes
Lover

Jan 2008
posted Monday, October 13, 2008 - 12:43 PM (#45506)

As far as, "He's not hurting anyone, so..." The real damage isn't about hurt, physical or emotional. It's about change. He's making life decisions that change the person he was to the person he is. And so do his partners.

It's his responsibility to decide who he wants to be, and how he wants to be. Until life lands on him, hard, there's nothing you can do to change him.

I do believe that the end result is that he will de-sensitize himself to most expressions of genuine affection or love. After a while, he may stop believing it exists. That is, if he hasn't already.

Whatever his past damage is, it's most likely that he's decide, sub-consciously, to look after #1. So, just keep him away from your own girlfriend, and nudge him towards protection. That's all you can really do.

Locked profile
wpgDBA
Lover

Sep 2008
posted Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 02:57 PM (#45515)

If his behaviour is bothering you, I have to wonder if this person is well-suited to be your friend.

Neither I nor my friends waited for marriage. But none of us slept with whatever walked by, either. I can count the women I slept with on one hand. I can also attach a name to each finger (even the one-night-stand).

I met several men and women that liked to brag about their "conquests." None of them would I trust. I DO have some jealousy for the idea of the lifestyle, but have never wanted to be any of the people I met in real life. In truth I usually feel sorry for them. It sounds like you fall into the same category.

Locked profile
MrD3071
Lover

Oct 2008
posted Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 05:45 PM (#45555)

Each to their own, i personally dont desire a sleep about life style, and i've turned down a few offers in my time. As for the karma, seriously even if your jealous i'd worry about your Karma! Worry about their life style IF something bad comes along such as a child or a STI, and hope that can knock some sence into them, while hoping it doesnt come to that at all!

Worry more about your own Karma, and believe me Karmatic justice is a force that does exsist, ive seen it in action, and i've felt it sting, if he is gathering bad karma then prehapse it will catch up with him, and though of course its only natural to care for a friend id think more of yourself for now and dont let his ways sway your morals!

--
'Love is the light that dissolves the walls between people, countries and humanities'
Locked profile
Threshold:  Locked
The Fine Print: The above comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
Hell, let's face it, we're not responsible for anything; including the things we say, do, or think. And if you sue us because you think we are? Well, we're not responsible for that either.

(C) 2005 Brad J. Guigar. All rights reserved. Use of content or images without the consent of the author is prohibited.

Errors happen...we apologize for the inconvenience.

Dumbrella Hosting has encountered an unexpected error.

We've been notified and will look into it.