forums

welcome! please login or register.

POLL RESULTS: Open for (monkey) business: (7 comments)

POLL: Open for (monkey) business

Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:00 AM

A reader writes... Q: Can an open relationship work?
POLL: Can an open relationship work?

7% (119) Yes!

31% (481) No.

61% (950) It depends on the people
1550 people have voted in this poll. (This poll is not active.)
pecoros7
Lover

May 2008
Re: Open for (monkey) business (Score: 1)
posted Friday, January 16, 2009 - 07:14 AM (#46598)

An open relationship can work, but you have to be SURE that you are 100% ok with it. If you have any doubt about it, it is probably a bad idea to try it out. If either partner in an open relationship suddenly decides that they're not comfortable with it after all, things could get kind of ugly.

Locked profile
Stevarooni
Lover

Jun 2008
posted Friday, January 16, 2009 - 07:15 AM (#46599)
Heck, one woman is too much for me most of the time! Which is not to say that I would be comfortable being one of a male harem. That said, I've met people who have made open relationships work. I've met more people who think that an open relationship would work, but aren't in the right mindset; I met a group of polyandrous people. One couple was perfect; they got along together very well, discussed everything that was happening/what was allowed, went with their agreed constraints, etc. Other couples in the "cloud" weren't so well-off. In one couple, the husband knew about the group but didn't participate; I think that his wife was elbow-deep in everything. Another couple was very cheerful about participating, but didn't communicate well, and they weren't actually "OK" with what was going on. All of this was, when I left for greener pastures, headed toward a nasty collision. The stable couple would survive, I suspect, but they weren't taking any responsibility for the chaos in their wake. Fair enough; you're not responsible if other people make terrible decisions regarding their own relationship, but there are a plethora of news stories about how things get "stabby" in such situations.
Locked profile
The1Paladin
Lover

Mar 2003
posted Friday, January 16, 2009 - 04:17 PM (#46604)

Yes, but communication is absolutely a must and everyone involved has to be okay with it.

Locked profile
DarQuing
Lover

Jan 2009
posted Friday, January 16, 2009 - 09:13 PM (#46605)

As with any relationship, it takes communication and a desire to make it work. Unfortunately, not everybody has that desire. It largely depends on the people.

Locked profile
Snobahr
Lover

Jan 2008
Let me expand on that, a little. (Score: 1)
posted Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 03:44 PM (#46608)
In Response to The1Paladin (#46604):

You have to be okay with who your partner wants to play with. The partner of your partner's potential playmate has to be okay with it. All of this has to be okay with everyone who is directly involved.

If you're not cool with the person you partner wants to play with, say something beforehand.

If your partner isn't cool with somebody you want to play with, discuss it, and abide by the results.

If the partner of the potential playmate isn't cool with it, keep it platonic.

If the potential playmate isn't cool with you (or your partner), keep it platonic.

Ya, rly.

Locked profile
Murgatroyd
Lover

Jan 2008
posted Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 01:23 AM (#46612)

An open relationship can work. It depends on the people.

Similarly, stepping off a balcony on the 53rd floor can be a pleasant experience ... if your name is Clark Kent or Peter Parker. It depends on the people. How much do you want to bet that you're one of the right people?

Locked profile
abb3w
Lover

Jan 2008
More important quibble... (Score: 1)
posted Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:15 AM (#46615)

It depends less on the people involved, than on the definition of "work" at hand.

Locked profile
Threshold:  Locked
The Fine Print: The above comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
Hell, let's face it, we're not responsible for anything; including the things we say, do, or think. And if you sue us because you think we are? Well, we're not responsible for that either.

(C) 2005 Brad J. Guigar. All rights reserved. Use of content or images without the consent of the author is prohibited.