forums

welcome! please login or register.

POLL RESULTS: Egg money: (5 comments)

POLL: Egg money

Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:00 AM

A reader writes... My husband was recently laid off from his job and, though I have a part-time job, things are getting pretty scary. I’m in my 20s, and one thing I’ve been considering is selling my eggs. I read an article that said a woman can make between $5,000 and $10,000 by donating to help an infertile couple. That would be enough to let us pay our bills and scrape by for at least six more months without losing our home. Maybe by then my husband will have another job. What do you think of this idea?
POLL: Should she sell her eggs?

85% (1396) Why not? What is she -- chicken?

14% (234) No... that would be a Grade A mistake
1630 people have voted in this poll. (This poll is not active.)
handle
Lover

Jun 2008
Re: Egg money (Score: 1)
posted Friday, February 27, 2009 - 03:19 AM (#46976)

Donating eggs is a very invasive procedure which requires you taking a lot of different hormones and other pills among lots of hands-on doctors appointments. The blurb you read probably didn't mention any of the things you have to go through, so you should definitely look up the procedures first. I would also like to mention that these clinics are coming under fire for offering this meager dollar figure both because it is very low and because it "preys" upon people of low wealth. There are other ways to make ends-meet.

However, with that said, don't feel discouraged from looking into things and making an informed decision. I know egg donors who didn't mind everything and came out of the process just fine with a little bit of extra money.

Locked profile
Caffeine
Lover

Feb 2009
posted Friday, February 27, 2009 - 06:32 AM (#46977)

Setting aside the medical inclinations (which have been referred to already), how do you think you would cope with the situation?

I think for many people this may be a good solution if a financial crisis arises. For others it may have strong affects on their personalities. (Like, what happened to it(him/her?)? Where is it (he/she?)? What have I done to it (him/her?)?)

Guess I personally would rather try to find another way of making ends meet, but then I am over-protective of my body, I also wouldn't give up my kidneys... (^v^)

Locked profile
Lachesis
Lover

Jul 2008
posted Friday, February 27, 2009 - 09:59 AM (#46978)

thoroughly researching this is a MUST! as mentioned, there's a ton of things you'll need to undergo - hormone therapy to stimulate egg production, check-ups, the actual harvesting procedure... maybe even some counseling before or after. is the money from selling your ova actually going to cover ALL those costs and still leave you with any extra? are you even qualified, health-wise, to be a donor? i imagine there is likely to be some screening involved to weed out donors liable to hereditary diseases. it might be that, unless you have an actual recipient lined up who is willing to help pay for the medical procedures, you might go through all that and end up with a net return of close to $0.

just something to keep in mind.

Locked profile
Dea_chan
Lover

Feb 2009
posted Friday, February 27, 2009 - 11:24 AM (#46979)

Having known someone who has donated eggs, I can assure you that although you can make good money, it takes a long time (about 6 months) and is very intensive. She received premium price because not only is she intelligent, her family has been incredibly smart for generations (as in, someone worked on the Manhatten project smart!), she's blonde and blue eyed. But the hormones and all such things can be very very intensive -- reiterating what the others have said: get ALL of your information before making a decision. Look into exactly how much you will make, how long it will take, and what procedures are involved. If you're expecting fast cash, this is not it.

Locked profile
NunyaBidness
Lover

Apr 2008
posted Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 05:39 AM (#46981)

Phone sex operator is easier, faster and pays better.

Or, see about a more mainstream job that you can put on your resume.

Locked profile
Discussion: POLL: Egg money | Login/Create an Account | 5 comments
Threshold:  Locked
The Fine Print: The above comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
Hell, let's face it, we're not responsible for anything; including the things we say, do, or think. And if you sue us because you think we are? Well, we're not responsible for that either.

(C) 2005 Brad J. Guigar. All rights reserved. Use of content or images without the consent of the author is prohibited.

Errors happen...we apologize for the inconvenience.

Dumbrella Hosting has encountered an unexpected error.

We've been notified and will look into it.