forums

welcome! please login or register.

POLL RESULTS: The oldest profession?: (11 comments)

POLL: The oldest profession?

Friday, September 18, 2009 - 12:00 AM

A reader writes... Q: Ashley Dupre, the high-priced call girl who brought down New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer, recently said snobby women shouldn't be judgmental about her profession since they trade sex for things like security, a wealthy lifestyle, a career boost, etc., all the time. Do you think she's right?

POLL: So, is Ashley right?

60% (899) I'm a man and I say yes

23% (354) I'm a man and I say no

6% (102) I'm a woman and I say yes

8% (127) I'm a woman and I say no
1482 people have voted in this poll. (This poll is not active.)
Khrys
Lover

Mar 2009
Re: The oldest profession? (Score: 1)
posted Friday, September 18, 2009 - 01:54 AM (#49350)

Honestly, I see it happen all the time. There's always that girl in the office that uses her looks to twine men around her little finger to get them to do what she wants. I, for example, work with one such girl. She managed to work around union rules because she was making doe eyes at the store manager, rubbing herself on him like a cat in heat. She does the same thing to at least two other guys, trading sexual favor or the promise of in return for many things, including money.

That's not to say ALL women do so. The other women we work with think she's disgusting and degrading women everywhere, and I personally agree. So, it does happen, and it IS a form of prostitution.

Locked profile
CasualNotice
Lover

Jun 2008
posted Friday, September 18, 2009 - 05:30 AM (#49351)

When you buy a green truck, you suddenly notice all the green trucks on the road. I'm sure there's a psychological term for it (but I'm not a psychologist, so I don't know what it is). We see things through the lens of our own experience and tend to discount those things which don't confirm our world-view as anomalies.

I'm not saying Ms. Dupre is entirely wrong, but my observation suggests that precious few women "use" sex for anything.

Locked profile
whutaguy
Lover

Jun 2009
posted Friday, September 18, 2009 - 05:57 AM (#49353)

No one be judgemental, but Ms. Dupre's job is illegal. Just as a thief, hitman, or drug dealer hasa job which is illegal. I've also noticed that "who are you to judge?" is the first line of people who think they are morally questionable.
I don't know any snobby women, so the rest of this is conjecture.
I like to think that womwn trade sex for more sex. They trade companionship, partnership, dedication, devotion, security, wealth, etc for those things.

Locked profile
Stevarooni
Lover

Jun 2008
posted Friday, September 18, 2009 - 07:15 AM (#49354)

There are similarities, but they're not the same. People in relationships do "trade" for things sometimes ("Oh, I love these diamonds! Tonight, we're going to do something really naughty."), but that isn't the only way that they get things from one another. In strong relationships, they'll also do things for one another with neither the expectation nor the requirement that there's reciprocal gift-giving. It's like saying that there's no difference between bank robbers and heart surgeons, since both of them wear masks and take money from people. :P

Locked profile
NunyaBidness
Lover

Apr 2008
posted Friday, September 18, 2009 - 07:52 AM (#49355)

Comparing a prostitute, providing a service for money, to a hit man or other thug is unkind and inaccurate. It's also not illegal everywhere. The business at that end is generally quite honest.

There was an article in the NYT, I recall, about some Wall Street wives and GFs, most unhappy that their men were getting laid off or not promoted due to the economy, and how their makeup and entertainment budgets were suffering while the man agonized over whom he'd have to fire to keep the company going, the selfish bastard.

THOSE are some classless hookers.

Locked profile
mechgogo
Lover

Jun 2008
posted Friday, September 18, 2009 - 09:33 AM (#49356)

While I won't say that all women involved withaffluent men trade sex for the good life the fact is that a certain percentage of females actively seek out rich men and exclude anyone below a certain financial net worth because their number one priority is living the high life and they're willing to trade for that on their backs. Those women have ZERO right to look down on anyone in the sex trade. Exchanging sex for a big house, nice car and flashy jewlery is still trading sex for material goods. Prostitutes are just more honest about it.

As for the whole "Prostitution is illegal" thing I'm always left wondering why. We bang on and on in America about a persons right to decide for themselves and we treat it as normal for people to hook up for a night or an hour without knowing each others last (or indeed sometimes FIRST) names. Yet it's somehow wrong for a person to say "You have $200 that I need and I've got the ability to give you an orgasm that YOU need. Lets make this happen." WHY? And don't hand me that whole "It objectifies women and degrades them." either. Newsflash folks; OXYGEN makes me view women as sexual objects. And we put sex in EVERYTHING in this country. To quote the late great Bill Hicks "You know those Doublemint Gum commercials with the hot twins slinking towards the camera right out of the pool? I gotta tell ya folks, when I see that....I'm not thinkin about gum."

Locked profile
tylertork
Lover

Sep 2009
posted Friday, September 18, 2009 - 12:53 PM (#49357)

As a man, I would say that there's a vast difference between a woman considering a man's bank balance as a factor in seeking a mate, and making money the only or main factor that you consider for a one-night stand. I'm not saying there aren't gold-diggers out there; but there are also plenty of women who have money of their own and want to avoid men who are just after their money, and plenty of women without that much money still with a legitimate desire not to hook up with some lazy slug who will drag them down (low income being one evidence point for slughood, though of course there are also men who don't make much money because they're doing something they love that doesn't pay well -- but those are not the men complaining about women going for the guys with the Rolex. There are plenty of women who value passion and interesting conversation).
Also, it's not as if the man is the only one who gets anything out of the relationship otherwise, especially if it's a relationship and not just a sleepover.

Locked profile
DarQuing
Lover

Jan 2009
posted Friday, September 18, 2009 - 04:52 PM (#49358)

I think, to a certain extent, Ms. Dupre is right. I don't think ALL women do it, nor is it limited strictly to women nowadays (sugarmama anyone?).

Locked profile
TheOriginalJes
Lover

Jan 2008
posted Friday, September 18, 2009 - 06:06 PM (#49360)

There are degrees of this sort of thing. The issue isn't just black and white.

When I used to work as a contractor in, I was in some fairly wealthy homes. The wealthy are so used to having strangers in their homes that they talk about almost everything as if "you" weren't there.

I've seen wealthy women that only cared about the money, and some that didn't really care. But, the issue of money is always a very big factor in the relationship. Don't just consider the women. Consider the men.

Many of them treat their wives as if they were bought and paid for. And, many of them have genuine love for their women. But, these men and women are not paired up based on a mutual affection for money. They're all mixed up like a bag of M&Ms.

So, by default, a majority of relationships among the wealthy end because of money, or the lack thereof, just by virtue of one party or the other.

But, it's really popular for the women to take the blame for the dissolution of the marriage when the husband is the bread-winner. If she ends the marriage, she was "looking for a payout", or is trying to "trade up". If he end's the marriage, he could say anything he wants. It still comes down to he said/she said.

Anecdote -

I do recall one particular jewish (topically relevant) woman who held a conversation over the phone while I was in the room. She was telling her friend all about this date she had been on. The man was "attractive enough" (her words) for a "goy". And he drove a Porsche. He was a lawyer in his own practice. He had some expensive jewelry, for himself and for her (first date,...hello, McFly!). He took her to a nice restaurant (Nice is an understatement. I could never afford to eat there.) in the city (NYC). And, every time she looked at us, she would say, "But, I would only think of him for a conversation."

She would then go on to describe how he works out several days a week. How long his practice had been up an running. "But, that doesn't mean anything. It was just good conversation."

He still had all of his own hair. But, his nose wasn't quite the way she'd like it. "But, he can still talk with the nose he has. And, if he wanted to, he could have it fixed. It's just good conversation."

She must have said how she would only think of him for a good "conversation" over 50 times in 35 minutes.

"Me thinks thou doth protest too much!"

Locked profile
Murgatroyd
Lover

Jan 2008
posted Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 01:18 AM (#49361)

Obviously everyone is different, so some women fit the profile and some don't. But I can't help but recall Dan Ackroyd's classic line from the "Point/Counterpoint" SNL skit with Jane Curtin about the Michelle Triolo Marvin "palimony" lawsuit:

"I guess what you and Michelle are saying is that when you're on your backs, the meter is running!"

(If you've never seen the skit, it's here [hulu.com].)

Locked profile
naui
Lover

Sep 2009
posted Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 08:58 PM (#49376)
In Response to Khrys (#49350):

Report her for sexual harassment. Her behavior makes you uncomfortable. Everybody who feels this way should report her. Such behavior poisons the workplace. Go to HR ASAP.

Locked profile
Threshold:  Locked
The Fine Print: The above comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
Hell, let's face it, we're not responsible for anything; including the things we say, do, or think. And if you sue us because you think we are? Well, we're not responsible for that either.

(C) 2005 Brad J. Guigar. All rights reserved. Use of content or images without the consent of the author is prohibited.

Errors happen...we apologize for the inconvenience.

Dumbrella Hosting has encountered an unexpected error.

We've been notified and will look into it.