forums

welcome! please login or register.

Original Comment:

POLL: Full Disclosure?

Friday, October 09, 2009 - 12:00 AM

A reader writes... Q: I'm a 39-year-old guy, happily divorced. This summer I re-met a very special woman whom I knew growing up. We get along very well and are having a great time together. While I was divorced, I had an affair with this woman's friend (who does not live nearby.) To be fair, I spoke to the woman with whom I had the affair about seeing her friend. While it felt strange, she wanted the best for me and her friend and encouraged me to pursue her friend. Also, I had been hyperactively dating on match.com for quite some time (which I heartily recommend) and have slowed down to focus on my new relationship. I’ve discontinued my match.com membership, have been cleaning house of lingering relationships, deleting mobile numbers and e-mail address and the like. Meanwhile, I've been honest to these women about why I’m doing this and trying to part as friends. I am doing my best to minimize temptation. Disclosure is my question. I want to be honest with this special woman yet, I don't want to shoot myself in the foot. In the spirit of honesty, should I 'fess up to this short affair with her friend, which happened in the past year? Should I 'fess up to the magnitude of my hyperactive match.com dating? Or might I be best off let sleeping dogs lie?

POLL: Should this guy disclose his dating history to his new sweetheart?

38% (347) I'm a man and I say yes

42% (383) I'm a man and I say no

9% (83) I'm a woman and I say yes

9% (85) I'm a woman and I say no
898 people have voted in this poll. (This poll is not active.)

This discussion has been locked. Feel free to start a new one to share your wisdom with us.

(C) 2005 Brad J. Guigar. All rights reserved. Use of content or images without the consent of the author is prohibited.

Errors happen...we apologize for the inconvenience.

Dumbrella Hosting has encountered an unexpected error.

We've been notified and will look into it.