forums

welcome! please login or register.

POLL RESULTS: Private Calls...: (22 comments)

POLL: Private Calls...

Friday, October 23, 2009 - 12:00 AM

A reader writes... Q: I was going through a friend's cell phone when I came across a photo of a penis. I wasn't sure if it was his or someone else's. I was so surprised. What's the best way to handle a situation like this?

POLL: What advice do you have for this person?

2% (57) Ask the friend if the penis belongs to him

12% (250) Never bring it up. Ever.

8% (178) It depends. How much scrolling was necessary?

9% (204) Put the phone on vibrate and enjoy your own, private joke.

66% (1364) That's what you get for looking through someone else's phone
2053 people have voted in this poll. (This poll is not active.)
pecoros7
Lover

May 2008
Re: POLL: Private Calls... (Score: 1)
posted Friday, October 23, 2009 - 12:23 AM (#49763)

Regardless of why you were snooping through his phone, the content thereof is his business alone and has no impact on your life whatsoever. The best way to handle it is to ignore it and move on with your life.

If this really bothers you and you have a hard time letting go, you need to start considering why the penis bothers you.

Is it concern about his sexuality? If so, consider the myriad reasons for having such a picture besides homosexuality. Penis photos come in handy for gag messages, especially when paired with very loud audio files. If he does happen to be a flaming queen, mind your own damn business.

Are you offended by his possessing sexually graphic content? That's a values issue that can be very difficult to handle. It depends largely on the nature of your friendship. If you're close enough to offer that kind of moral opinion, you're probably close enough for him to be receptive to it.

Is it a particularly unattractive penis? Some genitals are just plain old ugly. If that's the case, tell him he needs to find some new dick pics.

Locked profile
pollywog
Lover

Jul 2008
posted Friday, October 23, 2009 - 12:37 AM (#49764)

If you don't know if a penis is your friend's or a stranger's you have to handle it very carefully lest you find yourself in a sticky situation.

Locked profile
Murgatroyd
Lover

Jan 2008
posted Friday, October 23, 2009 - 01:18 AM (#49765)

Why the hell do you want to know? What business is it of yours?

If it's so darned important to you, why don't you just ask to see his penis, and then compare it to your memory of the photo. You couldn't be any more of a twit than you're being now ... and who knows, it might take your relationship to a whole new level. One way or the other.

Locked profile
Uriko
Lover

Mar 2008
posted Friday, October 23, 2009 - 01:45 AM (#49766)

I have to say it like this: If you don't want to find such things on your friend's phone, don't take it and go through his personal photos. I got so annoyed at people doing it to me that I ended up finding a photo of a wrist slashed open and put it on my phone to make people stop. And guess what, it worked.

Locked profile
CasualNotice
Lover

Jun 2008
posted Friday, October 23, 2009 - 06:03 AM (#49768)

You're rifling through someone else's private information and you're concerned about him because you found a penis photo? Seriously?

You're not a bit concerned with your own boundary issues?

Locked profile
Splinky
Lover

Nov 2006
posted Friday, October 23, 2009 - 09:28 AM (#49770)
In Response to CasualNotice (#49768):

What CasualNotice said. I wouldn't be surprised if he put that on his phone because he was sick of you rifling through it. That's what I'd do, anyway.

Locked profile
ErikTheRed
Lover

Jan 2008
posted Friday, October 23, 2009 - 11:33 AM (#49772)

It's just a penis. Big deal. You do realize that 99.99999% of guys have one, right? Unless you're a nun, I'm sure you've seen them before and I'm sure you'll see them again. Big deal. Don't be a snoop. If he's not gay, it's almost certainly his. Only bring it up if you're going to be complementary and / or inquisitive.

Locked profile
artemis3
Lover

Oct 2009
posted Friday, October 23, 2009 - 11:42 AM (#49773)

I think the reader should have taken a picture of their own genitals with the phone.

Locked profile
Felderburg
Lover

Oct 2009
posted Friday, October 23, 2009 - 03:02 PM (#49775)

I've had some male friends who would take pictures of their penis, and send it to other male (and sometimes female) friends as a joke. That's probably what happened.

Locked profile
smparadox
Lover

Mar 2009
posted Friday, October 23, 2009 - 03:46 PM (#49776)
In Response to pollywog (#49764):

Best. Comment. Ever.
Locked profile
zmortis
Lover

Jun 2009
posted Friday, October 23, 2009 - 04:50 PM (#49778)

Unless you are planning to offer him some sexual favors I suggest you learn that other people's private business is none of your business. If you do want to offer sexual favors, then I suggest sending a picture of your own naughty bits and seeing if something fun happens.

Locked profile
Aaron1
Lover

Aug 2009
posted Friday, October 23, 2009 - 06:55 PM (#49779)

Make that his wallpaper?

Locked profile
Valareos
Lover

May 2009
posted Friday, October 23, 2009 - 07:54 PM (#49780)

I was going to make a comment on this.. but... no.. I think the overall view is right on the money.. Serves you right

Besides, I wouldnt touch the obvious joke with a 6 inch pole...

Locked profile
darkgolem
Lover

Oct 2009
posted Friday, October 23, 2009 - 08:01 PM (#49781)
In Response to pecoros7 (#49763):

I can think of a few idiots who are friends of mine who would think it is funny to have a penis photo on my phone.

Basically decide if knowing someone with very questionable taste (or however poor taste you think the pic is), is worth keeping this to your self and letting yourself forget about it.

Once you decide and and are as comfortable with your choice as you can be, either tell him or her or not, and live with your decision.

Just like you should do with most friend's behaviors.

Locked profile
Thlayli
Lover

Oct 2009
posted Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 10:09 AM (#49784)

I'm not sure why everyone assumed that he/she wasn't given permission to go through the photos. If the friend said, "sure, go ahead and look" then I'd make some comment about being surprised by x-rated material. If they were snooping, then STFU and stop being nosy.

Locked profile
Phyren
Lover

Oct 2009
posted Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 12:46 PM (#49791)

Dude... Really? It's a penis. There are pictures of them out there. I have at least five friends who've taken pictures of their junk on their phone, and left it there as retribution against any who start snooping through their pictures.
It happens. Deal with it.

Locked profile
Murgatroyd
Lover

Jan 2008
posted Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 09:49 PM (#49798)

Dude... Really? It's a penis.

For all we know, OP is a dudette, not a dude. I suspect OP is female, since most guys have seen at least one penis in their lives and wouldn't be particularly shocked to see another one.

But OP apparently hasn't seen the friend's penis yet, since he/she doesn't know whether the photo was of the friend's appendage or someone else's. If OP is female, perhaps the photo was her friend's attempt to break the ice ...

If I'd been in OP's position, I probably would have pointed to the image on the tiny screen and asked him, "Actual size?"

Locked profile
Murgatroyd
Lover

Jan 2008
posted Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 09:57 PM (#49799)

I have at least five friends who've taken pictures of their junk on their phone, and left it there as retribution against any who start snooping through their pictures.

The "goatse.cx" image is even better for this ...

;^)

Locked profile
Caffeine
Lover

Feb 2009
posted Monday, October 26, 2009 - 07:05 AM (#49810)

NEVER EVER go through other persons private stuff. No cell phones, no e-mail, no letters, no diaries.

Who the f*** taught you that kind of manners???

(If I found someone going through my stuff - no matter if friend or "significant other" - it would be reason enough for me to end that relationship. Immediately. No second chances.)

Locked profile
Veldan
Lover

Mar 2009
posted Monday, October 26, 2009 - 06:50 PM (#49820)
In Response to Caffeine (#49810):

Something to hide? :P

Seriously though OP. Get over it, 50% of people have them and the other 50% have almost definitely seen one... grow up :)

Locked profile
Caffeine
Lover

Feb 2009
posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 02:37 AM (#49826)
In Response to Veldan (#49820):

Geez, everyone has got their secrets. Do you want everybody to know everything about you?

(A friend once went to get some pizza for friends at his house and returned to them reading his email conversation out loud for amusement. (I would have taken the axe to them. Or the bread knife.))

There is just things you do not do. Period.

Locked profile
Murgatroyd
Lover

Jan 2008
posted Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 01:34 AM (#49838)

Geez, everyone has got their secrets. Do you want everybody to know everything about you?

Some years ago I was showing a new employee how Netscape Communicator 4.0 worked. (Yes, it was that long ago.) Using the computer she had inherited from the woman who formerly occupied that office but was now in a research group one floor up, I showed her how Netscape could be used to access Usenet groups ... and in the course of the demo I realized that the previous user hadn't cleared her bookmarks and newsgroup subscriptions. I very abruptly finished the demo and went on to other topics. I quietly came back to that office during lunch to clear Netscape's settings on that PC. I don't think the new hire was able to see that her predecessor liked to read alt.sex.anal at work ...

I'm rather proud of the fact that in all of my later interactions with the young woman who previously used that computer, I was able to keep a straight face.

Locked profile
Discussion: POLL: Private Calls... | Login/Create an Account | 22 comments
Threshold:  Locked
The Fine Print: The above comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
Hell, let's face it, we're not responsible for anything; including the things we say, do, or think. And if you sue us because you think we are? Well, we're not responsible for that either.

(C) 2005 Brad J. Guigar. All rights reserved. Use of content or images without the consent of the author is prohibited.