forums

welcome! please login or register.

Original Comment:

POLL: Meaningful Glances?

Friday, February 12, 2010 - 12:00 AM

A reader writes... Q: I'm a long time reader, first time asker; I am hoping all those other readers can help me figure out the right way to solve my problem, since they seem very knowledgeable. I'm a university student who's never had a girlfriend, much less a relationship. I have recently started to develop a crush of sorts for a girl who's taking a same class as I do. I came to develop that crush after observing that she seemed to be giving me glances and looks, and that she seemed to be the only one laughing at nearly all of my crummy jokes. Once I had seen her literally turn her head to give me a look, and also seen her give me a big smile when I asked some questions.

All of this wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the fact that that's about all I get from her in terms of positive reactions: I had figured I ought to gather some courage and ask her out to lunch, and I've flat-out asked her once and insinuated it the other time, but both times she refused, saying she had eaten already.

I don't think she dares to approach me, but she has no problems approaching other people and talking to them, including other guys. There's not even a cursory 'hello' or a nod of acknowledgment or anything like that when I enter class or see her somewhere else (although we do talk if we run into each other face-to-face).

I don't understand it, it's confused me to the point of upsetting me, and I have no idea whether I should simply ask her out again more forcefully or if those glances and those smiles were just a big misunderstanding.

POLL: Is she interested or not?

24% (368) Yes.

75% (1112) No.
1480 people have voted in this poll. (This poll is not active.)

This discussion has been locked. Feel free to start a new one to share your wisdom with us.

(C) 2005 Brad J. Guigar. All rights reserved. Use of content or images without the consent of the author is prohibited.