forums

welcome! please login or register.

POLL RESULTS: Dial a Date: (7 comments)

POLL: Dial a Date

Friday, March 05, 2010 - 12:00 AM

A reader writes... If you’re not into your first date, what’s the best thing a guy can say to exit reasonably quickly, while being respectful about it? What’s the best way for a woman to do the same?

POLL: Since it's so widely known, does anybody still use the "buddy phone call" on a blind date?

20% (222) Sure!

46% (519) No way.

32% (364) Maybe.
1105 people have voted in this poll. (This poll is not active.)
CasualNotice
Lover

Jun 2008
Re: Dial a Date (Score: 1)
posted Friday, March 05, 2010 - 04:47 AM (#55250)

There's probably nothing wrong with faking an emergency to get out of a date, but it's probably better to simply live through it and let the other person know you're not interested in anything besides friendship.

Locked profile
whutaguy
Lover

Jun 2009
posted Friday, March 05, 2010 - 05:48 AM (#55251)

What's the matter with honesty? Apologize, offer to pay for whatever has been done so far (dinner or movie or whatever) and both of you can try to salvage whats left of the day or night.

As for the poll, people will always use old tired methods for everything. Men still use lame 70s pick up lines.

Locked profile
NunyaBidness
Lover

Apr 2008
posted Friday, March 05, 2010 - 08:30 AM (#55252)

I'd rather a woman was honest. I had one agree to a date, develop "car trouble," then have "A friend drop by the house," and when I asked if she'd changed her mind, she insisted she really did want a date. Not even "Can we try some other time, I'll call you?" Just nothing but evasion and dishonesty.

Locked profile
vorlonagent
Lover

Oct 2009
posted Friday, March 05, 2010 - 12:37 PM (#55255)
In Response to NunyaBidness (#55252):

People often fear to be honest because they fear to cause and/or receive hurt as a result. This is especially true when it comes to matters of the heart.

But facing fear is a good thing, so if the only thing that comes out of a null-chemistry date is facing a fear, well hey you got something out of it.

Locked profile
Atavism
Lover

Oct 2009
posted Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 01:19 AM (#55260)

Just front up and tell the truth. If someone is sensitive enough to be hurt by that, then they would get hurt even more if you string them along for a while first.

Locked profile
lwj2
Lover

Feb 2008
posted Monday, March 08, 2010 - 07:36 AM (#55281)

How about something simple: "Thank you for a pleasant evening. Have a good night."

After all, you did take up her evening. No point in being rude about it. Presumably you had dinner at a decent restaurant, possibly saw a movie or went to the theatre. So it's not a total loss.

Locked profile
Caffeine
Lover

Feb 2009
posted Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 12:01 PM (#55309)

I'll admit, I had an emergency exit strategy planned when I had the first (blind) date with my current boyfriend. Well, I didn't need it - obviously - and it was 3 years ago, but nevertheless I see nothing wrong with it.

Locked profile
Discussion: POLL: Dial a Date | Login/Create an Account | 7 comments
Threshold:  Locked
The Fine Print: The above comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
Hell, let's face it, we're not responsible for anything; including the things we say, do, or think. And if you sue us because you think we are? Well, we're not responsible for that either.

(C) 2005 Brad J. Guigar. All rights reserved. Use of content or images without the consent of the author is prohibited.