forums

welcome! please login or register.

Original Comment:

POLL: Strings attached?

Friday, April 09, 2010 - 12:00 AM

A reader writes... Q: I have an ethics question. I’m a single woman in her 20s who works in a Center City office. A man I work with obviously has a crush on me, and I’ve made it pretty plain that I have no interest in him. He speaks with me every day and is very complimentary, etc. I didn’t feel too bothered by that, but last week he gave me an expensive necklace for my birthday. I tried to refuse it, but he said it couldn’t be returned and he’d throw it away if I didn’t take it. He looked hurt, so I said thank you and took it. Now I’m nervous that I may have encouraged him. Any advice?

POLL: What should she do...?

13% (234) Keep the necklace. Big deal.

48% (862) Give the necklace back and explain that it's not right for her to accept it since she has no intention of dating him.

20% (354) Return the necklace and alert the company's Human Resources department about possible sexual harassment.

6% (106) Give him an equally expensive birthday gift and then claim the whole thing "Even Steven."

11% (204) Give the guy a second look. Do you know how many women would love to have a boyfriend who buys expensive jewelry?
1760 people have voted in this poll. (This poll is not active.)

This discussion has been locked. Feel free to start a new one to share your wisdom with us.

(C) 2005 Brad J. Guigar. All rights reserved. Use of content or images without the consent of the author is prohibited.