forums

welcome! please login or register.

Mile-High Club? (10 comments)

Mile-High Club?

Friday, August 20, 2010 - 12:22 AM

A reader writes... Q: One of the things on my bucket list is becoming a member of the mile-high club, but I’m scared of getting caught. Any suggestions?

abb3w
Lover

Jan 2008
Re: Mile-High Club? (Score: 0)
posted Friday, August 20, 2010 - 12:46 AM (#56734)

Charter flight?

Locked profile
Murgatroyd
Lover

Jan 2008
posted Friday, August 20, 2010 - 01:47 AM (#56735)

I think abb3w's advice will make this a short discussion, if we're only interested in practical answers. A Google search on (mile-high club charter flight) returns 90,000 hits, so that would seem to be the solution of choice.

So ... Has anyone here joined the club? I'm not a member 8-( but I have friends who did it in a private plane en route to Catalina from San Diego. (Hi Brian! Hi Cathy!)

The cabin of a Cessna isn't the world's most comfortable place to do it, I'm told, but at least you don't need to worry about flight attendants discovering you ... The Wikipedia article [wikipedia.org] on the subject is rather amusing.

Locked profile
elstreak
Lover

Jan 2008
posted Friday, August 20, 2010 - 08:09 AM (#56738)
In Response to Murgatroyd (#56735):

A charter flight defeats the purpose, the mile-high club is fun because you're doing something spontaneous and risky. Take that away and you're just boinking in a very cramped seat/bathroom/beverage cart, which you can do at home for much less money.

I sincerely hope that either Brian or Cathy has a pilot's license, because otherwise they made some poor guy who's just trying to make a living as a pilot sit there while they knocked the boots three feet away in the back seat of his Cessna. They may have thought he didn't know, but he knew... oh *he knew*

Locked profile
martian13
Lover

Aug 2010
posted Friday, August 20, 2010 - 08:11 AM (#56739)

My wife and I joined the club. She booked us one of the charters, uncomfortable Cessna cabin and all. The company provided a bottle of sparkling wine and some chocolates to help set the mood, and there is a divider curtain between the pilot and us. The flight was 60 minutes if I recall.
And it's also not that exciting. Hiring a charter has about the same thrill as just getting a hotel room in Denver. Part of the thrill should be the chance of getting caught. With the way airlines pack people into planes now getting caught is not a chance but a certainty. The last time we flew on a not full plane was from Minneapolis to Phoenix, leaving about 11:45pm. Just about everyone is sleeping, and my wife and I each had a row of seats to stretch out.

Locked profile
DoubleStar
Lover

Mar 2010
posted Friday, August 20, 2010 - 08:40 AM (#56740)
In Response to martian13 (#56739):

As both elstreak and Martian13 point out, for most people the primary reason for joining is the thrill of being caught, which is almost a certainty these days on pretty much every commercial flight other than a red-eye (and likely at least a 50-50 chance even there).

That being said, if you're truly serious about it, want the thrill of possibly being caught but also want comfort and don't mind the price, some of Airbus's new A380's have 12 first class sleeper cabins with a bed, although as Wikipedia points out, they aren't soundproofed (hence the thrill).

Locked profile
ThatJeff
Lover

Sep 2008
posted Friday, August 20, 2010 - 10:33 AM (#56741)

Not a member, but I recently heard good advice in a movie starring George Clooney. (Up In The Air I think) He recounts that when he hooked up with a stranger, he wrapped his hands in bandages so it looked like he couldn't take care of himself, then he and his partner boldly entered the bathroom, the notion she was there to help.

Locked profile
ErikTheRed
Lover

Jan 2008
posted Friday, August 20, 2010 - 11:40 AM (#56743)

Easy one: Restroom + long red-eye flight when everyone is asleep.

I was on one flight where there was a situation that invited going one better: I was in the back of the plane with an empty row that could have been used (heck, the whole back of the plane was mostly empty) at about 3 AM, but alas on that trip I had no one to take advantage of it with. Could have totally gotten away with it, too - absolutely nothing stirred for over two hours.

Locked profile
davztruk
Lover

Jan 2010
posted Friday, August 20, 2010 - 12:34 PM (#56746)

Been there, done it. I liked the idea of the bandages since that could allow for sneaking in some toys(note; plastic and rubber gets through the scanner...batteries don't) Very early morning or late night flights are the best.
Spoon position for in the seat rows and the lav for face-to-face positioning. If using the lav just have the first person in not lock the door and turn the 'occupied' 'light on. Then #2 can enter (har, har,) at a designate interval.
Hell with the charter, a fully loaded Airbus or 757 is the best for the 'let's-see-how-close-we-get-to-getting-caught' crowd. If some people do catch on they usually are amused or envious. Just go for it

Locked profile
Murgatroyd
Lover

Jan 2008
posted Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 01:23 AM (#56752)

I sincerely hope that either Brian or Cathy has a pilot's license, because otherwise they made some poor guy who's just trying to make a living as a pilot sit there while they knocked the boots three feet away in the back seat of his Cessna. They may have thought he didn't know, but he knew... oh *he knew*

He's a skilled pilot, she was taking lessons but never got her license AFAIK.

And from what I've heard from third parties (girls do talk, you know!) there were no bumping boots, it was Reverse Cowgirl. I don't think there's enough room in the lavatory of an airliner for that.

Locked profile
elstreak
Lover

Jan 2008
posted Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 09:50 AM (#56816)
In Response to Murgatroyd (#56752):

And from what I've heard from third parties (girls do talk, you know!) there were no bumping boots, it was Reverse Cowgirl.
There were *metaphorical* boots knocking, especially if it was anything involving the word "cowgirl" :)
Locked profile
Discussion: Mile-High Club? | Login/Create an Account | 10 comments
Threshold:  Locked
The Fine Print: The above comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
Hell, let's face it, we're not responsible for anything; including the things we say, do, or think. And if you sue us because you think we are? Well, we're not responsible for that either.

(C) 2005 Brad J. Guigar. All rights reserved. Use of content or images without the consent of the author is prohibited.

Errors happen...we apologize for the inconvenience.

Dumbrella Hosting has encountered an unexpected error.

We've been notified and will look into it.