forums

welcome! please login or register.

POLL RESULTS: Addicted to Love?: (8 comments)

POLL: Addicted to Love?

Friday, August 27, 2010 - 12:00 AM

A reader writes... Q: Is there really such a thing as a sex addiction? My girlfriend says I’m a sex addict. I just like having sex, that’s all. What do you think?

POLL: During the typical week, how many times do you have sex?

13% (195) None

14% (203) Once

12% (181) Twice

11% (158) Three times

6% (89) Four times

5% (79) Five times

1% (23) Six times

1% (20) Seven times

5% (83) More than seven times

27% (387) What? With another person...?
1418 people have voted in this poll. (This poll is not active.)
Uriko
Lover

Mar 2008
Re: Addicted to Love? (Score: 0)
posted Friday, August 27, 2010 - 04:45 AM (#56792)

Yes, there is such a thing as sex addiction. Whether or not you have one, we can't say.

There is a difference between having a high libido and having a sex addiction. In the case of an addiction, sex takes over one's thoughts more than is healthy and can make it hard to concentrate on e.g. work.

There should be a lot of info on the internet about it - one I found was http://www.medicinenet.com/sexual_addiction/articl e.htm - always worth a shot to look at...

Locked profile
NunyaBidness
Lover

Apr 2008
posted Friday, August 27, 2010 - 06:22 AM (#56795)

Most likely, it simply means your drive is higher than hers. This can be one of the critical compatibility issues in a relationship.

Locked profile
abb3w
Lover

Jan 2008
Mismatch (Score: 0)
posted Friday, August 27, 2010 - 09:23 AM (#56800)
In Response to NunyaBidness (#56795):

Second the compatibility issue. Anecdata suggests that average guys tend higher than average fems (testosterone level contributing somewhat), but the nature of a bell curve means that the mismatch can sometimes go the other way. Poor diet or insufficient (conventional) exercise can contribute to reduced drive, I understand; so can fatigue or stress.

Of course, there's also the possibility that she might be more interested in sex if he was better at ensuring SHE enjoyed it.

Locked profile
jamfraser
Lover

Aug 2010
posted Friday, August 27, 2010 - 12:23 PM (#56805)

One thing to take into account is that a person's sex drive typically changes over time.

Men generally peak around their late teens/early twenties. That's when they are at the randiest, generally wanting it whenever it's available and willing.

Women in general peak closer to their 40s or even into their 50s, depending on the individual.

This is one of the reasons why in movies, literature and pop culture that it's cool and praiseworthy for a younger man to bed an older woman, while the converse creeps us out.

If the reader is a young man, he'll probably grow out of this phase to one day find himself feebly resisting his partner's advances before giving in out of expedience.

If the drive to get laid is SO great that other areas of his life are suffering because it's all he can focus on to the exclusion of living rationally... that's an addiction, and can be treated with therapy.

Locked profile
Freemage
Lover

Apr 2008
posted Friday, August 27, 2010 - 07:25 PM (#56812)

The term "addiction" gets tossed around a lot these days. Honestly, I think it needs to be tightened up. Liking a lot of sex is not a sign of addiction, as others noted. (South Park did a fantastic episode on this subject not long ago, during the Tiger Woods fiasco--in which all the men insisted that a "normal" guy who suddenly became rich and famous certainly would never immediately start sleeping around--so of course Woods MUST be an "addict".)

What IS a sign of addiction is habitual, uncontrolled reactions to temptation. If you find yourself literally unable to walk away from, say, an offer from someone in a bar? Then you might be an addict.

Note that addicts, denied the "good stuff" will settle for low quality. Just like an alcoholic will drink cooking sherry if there's no whiskey available, a true sex addict will accept offers (and even attempt to initiate encounters) with women they can barely stand to look at.

Locked profile
CaptainSmokeblower
Lover

Nov 2009
posted Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 04:57 PM (#56822)

IF, "In the case of an addiction, sex takes over one's thoughts more than is healthy and can make it hard to concentrate on e.g. work," AND Tiger Woods played better golf (his work) while cheating on his wife, THEN he did NOT suffer from sexual addiction -- BUT he sure seems to be suffering from withdrawal (no pun intended).

Locked profile
SamuraiArtGuy
Lover

Aug 2010
posted Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 08:11 PM (#56823)

I don't know if you're *clinically* sex-addicted. But a partner may certainly feel that way if you want it a lot more than SHE does! Or if you are giving here the impression that you don't appreciate her for reasons other than having sex with her. This can REALLY irritate the living hell out of women.

Locked profile
Darkness
Lover

Mar 2010
posted Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 01:14 PM (#56832)

Looking the poll results, I think it would be better a comic about celebrating a year (or more) without sex... :P

Locked profile
Threshold:  Locked
The Fine Print: The above comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
Hell, let's face it, we're not responsible for anything; including the things we say, do, or think. And if you sue us because you think we are? Well, we're not responsible for that either.

(C) 2005 Brad J. Guigar. All rights reserved. Use of content or images without the consent of the author is prohibited.