forums

welcome! please login or register.

Original Comment:

POLL: Company man

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 12:01 AM

This week... Q.: I've been hanging out with one of my coworkers a lot, lately. The other night, she texted me while she was at the store to tell me she was having a personal crisis/breakdown, so I went over and kept her company until she had closed up. Afterward, she invited me over to her house for the night. We watched a movie on her bed. There was no physical contact. After the movie, I asked where I'd be sleeping and was told that I could stay in the bed with her.

I warned her that I snore. She said she was a sound sleeper. We slept. The next day, we hung out for a while, then went to see a movie, stopped by work to check the schedule, and I went home.

Now, what this says to me is that I'm just a close, platonic friend (especially since company policy says we can't date, and she recently got out of a long-term relationship-turned-engagement), but a number of my friends who know of the situation are telling me that "she's waiting for [me] to make a move."

I'm happy being employed, even if it's retail, and so's she. I won't deny that she's attractive to me, and that I, at times, wish there was more, and she has said ambiguous things to me in the past (tried my hand at online dating. When she found out, she told me that I could find a girl in real life and that I'm charming). She also has a "pet name" for me. Regardless, the company's pretty strict on employee fraternization and I'm afraid to risk a good friendship on what feels to me to be a very slim chance of there being something more there.
POLL: What should he do?

25% (174) Ask her out. If she says yes, start looking for another job.

35% (241) Ask her out. If she says yes, date IN SECRET.

9% (62) Don't ask her out. Jobs are hard to come by, and it isn't worth the risk.

20% (139) Have a friend ask her how she feels about you. If she's interested, then you have to decide if she's worth risking your job over.

10% (70) Just wait it out. Maybe she'll come on to you.
686 people have voted in this poll. (This poll is not active.)

This discussion has been locked. Feel free to start a new one to share your wisdom with us.

(C) 2005 Brad J. Guigar. All rights reserved. Use of content or images without the consent of the author is prohibited.