forums

welcome! please login or register.

Original Comment:

POLL: Puppy Love

Friday, April 01, 2011 - 12:00 AM

A reader writes... Q: My wife and I were recently married. There is one subject that causes a continuous argument for us: dogs. I want a dog and she doesn't. The real issue is that her father refuses to come to our house if we have a dog due to his allergies. He is unwilling to bend at all. Yes, even if we get a hypoallergenic dog that doesn't shed he won't come (they still have dander). Yes, even if we remove the dog prior to his visit and attempt to clean up any dander, use a HEPA filter, etc. he still won't come. We live in Michigan and cannot get an outdoor dog as our winters are way too cold for a dog to just live outside. Dogs are one of my passions and this is really driving a wedge between us. Any advice?
POLL: One partner wants a dog, and the other doesn't. What do you do?

54% (994) Don't get the dog unless both partners can agree. It's too much responsibility.

3% (64) Convince the anti-pet partner that he/she is wrong by bringing home an adorable puppy.

27% (508) Compromise. Get a goldfish.

14% (273) Relationship over.
1839 people have voted in this poll. (This poll is not active.)

This discussion has been locked. Feel free to start a new one to share your wisdom with us.

(C) 2005 Brad J. Guigar. All rights reserved. Use of content or images without the consent of the author is prohibited.