forums

welcome! please login or register.

POLL RESULTS: Act Your Age!: (8 comments)

POLL: Act Your Age!

Friday, April 19, 2013 - 12:00 AM

Take 50% OFF One Item, 3 Free DVD's, Free Shipping & a Free Mystery Gift NOW!
A reader writes...

My parents are way too sexually open!

They openly flirt and make innuendoes while other people (including me) are in the room, and they certainly aren't shy about public displays of affection. I can hear them -- ugh -- doing the deed the next two rooms over at night, and they do that like three times a week.

How do I bring up that they need to control themselves?
POLL: How do I talk to my parents about their behavior?

78% (1283) You don't. You should be thankful that your parents have a happy, healthy relationship. Get some headphones and get over yourself.

4% (68) Tape them and play it at the breakfast table.

13% (219) Bring it up tactfully and privately -- with both of them at the same time.

0% (5) Barge in on them a few times. They'll get the picture.

0% (9) Roll your eyes and sigh loudly. That always does the trick.

2% (45) What are they? Like, over thirty by now? Their body parts couldn't possibly remain operational for that much longer.
1629 people have voted in this poll. (This poll is not active.)
DavidArgall
Lover

Nov 2010
Re: Act Your Age! (Score: 0)
posted Friday, April 19, 2013 - 02:46 AM (#62937)

Look at the bright side. While we humans are not so consistent, in a couple of years [or days] you will be wanting to make a fool of yourself over something hot and they will have some difficulty insisting this is different. You likely will be wise to listen to them anyway, but they will have difficulty in rejecting your perfect sensible ideas.

Locked profile
Amanda
Lover

Oct 2008
posted Friday, April 19, 2013 - 03:14 AM (#62938)

If you're an adult, you find a job, move out, and limit your time with them since you are the one with the problem. They're in love and that's a good thing. They should be affectionate and flirty. You should strive to have a loving relationship like that when you are their age. If you're a child or teen, you should talk to them about it tactfully. Either way, get a counselor and see them regularly.

Locked profile
MalikTous
Lover

Mar 2013
posted Friday, April 19, 2013 - 09:51 AM (#62939)

If it interferes with your sleep, get them to sound insulate the walls. If their public activities are fully clothed, learn from it; private activities are supposed to be loving and pleasurable.

Locked profile www
Garwulf
Lover

Jun 2010
posted Friday, April 19, 2013 - 10:00 AM (#62940)

"How do I bring up that they need to control themselves?"

You don't. You're just going to have to accept that your parents are sexual beings, and that sexuality is part of being an adult. When the time comes, you will probably be just as flirty and sexual when you are in a healthy relationship.

That said, if I don't miss my guess, it is probably normal for a teenager to start realizing that his/her parents are sexual beings and suffer a minor level of shock as a result. I remember being annoyed at being kept up by my parents having sex when I was a teenager - perhaps it was because I was finally old enough to be trying to get to sleep when they were likely to have sex in the first place.

All that said, if this still bothers you, and you still feel the need to speak up, remember this: you are in your parent's house, living under their rules. They do NOT answer to you. So any problem you might have with how flirty your parents are or how often they have sex at night is YOUR problem, not theirs.

Locked profile
Shadowydreamer
Lover

Jan 2008
posted Friday, April 19, 2013 - 11:55 AM (#62941)

I spent my teenage years sleeping in my closet so I didn't have to listen to my parents get it on. I can't say I wanted to listen to ANYONE have sex when I was 13, I sure as heck didn't want to hear my parents having sex!

My parents are still cutesy and hold hands etc after being married for 43+ years, and that's awesome.. still don't want to hear them boink at 37 any more than I did at 13.

Personally, I'd take whichever parents you're closer to and say "Uhm, you know that .. uhm.. at night.. I can hear you, right?" Staring at your shoes while you say it is completely optional.

Of course, this is the 2010s.. You could just text. ;)

Locked profile
HandEFood
Lover

Apr 2009
posted Friday, April 19, 2013 - 10:07 PM (#62944)

Clearly they're hinting it's time for you to move out!

Locked profile
CaptainSmokeblower
Lover

Nov 2009
posted Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 11:01 AM (#62945)

I disagree with the comment that your parents are wanting you to move out because I don't think you're old enough. Based on your comment I suspect you haven't developed your own interest in sex, but are old enough to know about it, which would put you at between 11 and 14. Based on that assumption I agree with the comment about getting your parents to add sound proofing to the walls, and add sound absorbing doors for both bedrooms. Oh, and have them check the ceiling insulation and air ducts as well. That may tire your dad out for a few days too.
More importantly learn that your family isn't all about you. You're a part of your family, but your parents, and their needs, are just as important as yours.
Finally, I hope you use this to recognize your own sexuality when that time comes. (It's not time yet!) Some people spend years recovering from the idea (planted by their parents) that we are not sexual beings. You obviously won't have that problem, but you could deny your own sexuality, again when it develops in a few years, as part of your identity definition stage (some times referred to as teenage rebellion).
Good luck.

Locked profile
Murgatroyd
Lover

Jan 2008
posted Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 02:46 AM (#62947)

You know, if they had refrained from doing the deed just one time, you wouldn't be here to complain.

Locked profile
Discussion: POLL: Act Your Age! | Login/Create an Account | 8 comments
Threshold:  Locked
The Fine Print: The above comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
Hell, let's face it, we're not responsible for anything; including the things we say, do, or think. And if you sue us because you think we are? Well, we're not responsible for that either.

(C) 2005 Brad J. Guigar. All rights reserved. Use of content or images without the consent of the author is prohibited.